NEF awards scholarships to qualified high school students, undergraduates, and post-graduate students who can demonstrate financial need.
Sigma Gamma Rho Members Only
Beatrice Fox Scholarship | Central
Laura J. Hawkins Scholarship | Northeastern
Evelyn Hawkins Hood Scholarship | Southeastern
Lizzie B. Miller Scholarship | Southwestern
Claudia A. Whitmore Scholarship | Western
Ruben Bussey, Esq. Law Scholarship
Dr. ReJesta V. Perry Scholarship
Vivian D. Tillman Scholarship
Dr. Lorraine A. Williams Scholarship
Philo Sallie A. Williams
Philo Geneva Young
Seven Founders Scholarships
NEF General Scholarships
Drs. Katie K. & Joseph C. White Memorial Scholarship
Dr. LaRona J. Morris Memorial Scholarship
Dr. Alice McNeely Swain Endowed Memorial Scholarship
Dr. Cleo S. Higgins Scholarship
Dr. Santana & Karen Williams Scholarship
David & Corine J. Green Scholarship
Rodney Vernell Memorial Scholarship
Delta Sigma Chicago Alumnae Chapter Scholarship
Lovette Hood, Jr. Ministerial Scholarship
Inez Thomas Colson Memorial Scholarship
Land of Lincoln Scholarships
Jennifer Lauren Wheatley Memorial Scholarship
Lillie J. and Cornell Van Landingham Book Scholarship
Minnie & William Blakely Book Scholarship
Rev./Dr. Leatrice J. W. Emeruwa Book Scholarship
Scholarship Application Instructions
PLEASE READ THOROUGHLY.
Thank you for your interest in the National Education Fund (NEF) scholarship program. NEF offers need-based scholarships and requires that each applicant complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) as part of assessing financial need. The next page contains our scholarship application in which the following items are needed to complete the application:
1. Wallet size picture of applicant (240 x 336 pixels): For publishing in our publication, if awarded.
2. Transcript: Most recent transcript of completed work through the las completed term from a high school or college/university.
3. Verification of Financial Need:
a. Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for the next academic year.
b. After submitting, or filing, your FAFSA, you will receive a Student Aid Report (SAR) from FAFSA within 3-5 days, if you provided a valid email address. Your SAR will be sent via postal mail within 7-10 days if you did not submit a valid email address.
c. You will need to submit a copy of your Student Aid Report (SAR) for the next academic year with your scholarship application to verify financial need. Please note: NEF no longer accepts personal tax returns for verification of financial need due to the inclusion of very sensitive personal information.
4. After receiving your FAFSA SAR, your institution will provide you a Financial Aid Award Letter for the next academic year. You will need to submit a copy of this Financial Aid Award Letter with your scholarship application.
a. This Award Letter can typically be found in the online student portal provided by your institution.
b. For graduating high school seniors: Please provide the Financial Aid Award Letter only for the institution you have committed to attend in the fall term.
5. For newly admitted students at all levels: Letter of acceptance by an institution of higher learning.
6. Two (2) letters of recommendation (excluding family members): This is not required for NEF Scholars who have received an award in the past two years (2017 & 2018).
7. Uploads: The preferred format for uploads is PDF of a size no larger than 850KB. The PDF file size can be compressed using Adobe Acrobat or a free online service. Note that scholarship applications are considered complete with all supplemental documents successfully uploaded.